Followers

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Movembersgiving!

This day and Month always seem to be a new awakening for me. It somehow does signify death with the leaves falling off the trees and the air becoming crisply cold. Sunlight falls before 5pm in Massachusetts and it will only get dark earlier. However, I find this as a time of year that I become rejuvenated. I know that December will be cold and snowy but somehow things feel a little off because it has been 70 degrees in Boston today.

I have a lot to give thanks for but I have a lot to give!

This year as have the past three have started with a road race. In the third year in a row this race has been different. This race was my favorite because it was a team effort. Teamwork is important. My friend James organized our team. I can't think of anyone who loves road races more. I can't think of anyone who knows runners and their abilities better than James. The course was uphill for the first couple of miles but I respect it. I am learning to pace myself. Right at the first mile and a half I felt the pain in my side (like I do a lot). However, I could hear my running sensei in my head telling me not to give up. This time I didn't. I did notice my time slipping but at the end there was a nice downhill. At the end my friend Mr. Sony raced me in (he was four minutes faster). It was a great race and I had a great time which would have been an Athlinks.com PR if it wasn't for the extra .05 miles at the end.

Later in the day James, Mr. Sony, Chris, and my roommate all had Thanksgiving at the Rock. I burnt the ham to a blackened char, I almost darkened the mac and cheese, and those onions on the green bean casserole look super dark! The only pizza place that was open set my mouth aflame along with everyone else. The corn casserole was delicious as was the bites. Pumpkin pie with ice cream topped of the night. Then afterwards to Deep Ellum with more friends and good times. It makes me reflect on past thanksgivings and what to be thankful for: Friends and Family.

I remember all of my Thanksgivings for the past seven years I lived here.

Year one: My roommate and I made thanksgiving dinner and hung out on our own. No one else there to stop by but it worked.

Year two: I was by myself this year but I ended up being invited downstairs to our landlord's place. They were a Chilean family and I can't think of another Thanksgiving I will ever have which had tamales and hot peppers.

Year Three: I found out my father had prostate cancer. This wasn't good news to find out. My father also didn't want me to know or worry about him. I knew I had to go home and see him though. This was important. This is the only father I have and I have to see him through this. I know he was going through pain. I know this wasn't easy but knowing friends that have had this happen before I know that I am in a lot of ways lucky to have him alive! He made it through and is healthy today. I am joyous for this occasion. I know that my mustache for Movember is for an important cause. I know that the act of it may just be a little dumb but if one man gets awareness and has the symptoms checked out. It felt like an important visit because I got to see my family and My aunt who didn't survive lung cancer. In the end it let me know how important family really is.

Year Four: Friendsgiving with my roommate, his former girlfriend, and a couple of other friends.

Year Five: I really wanted to volunteer but ended up in Rockland, Ma with a friend. I do wonder if she was spying for the ex-ballbreaker though.

Year Six: I would say this was a transformation year with my life and another. A successful Friendsgiving with a last minute invite. I am grateful to the person who invited me.

Year Seven: See Above.

I have a lot to be thankful for even if there was no Turkey this year. I'm sure I can get some for Christmas. This is a holiday for those you care about and love. This is a holiday for friends and family. My cause for them is very deep. One day there will be a cure for cancer and one day there will be a cure for pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment