Followers

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hopkinton to Boston: A mile by mile account of one of the greatest journeys ever!

As a preface to my journey I must day that if it wasn't for a brave little girl named Malia then I may have skipped out on this experience! With the heat and the fact that I wasn't an "official" runner I decided to make this 26.2 miles a journey and not a race! This is a journey not for a medal or a time etched in stone but a message that running can be fun

Monday April 16

5:15 am - Nerves are a little shaky and it must have woke me up before the alarm clock.

6:30 am - Passed first school bus full of marathon runners. Pretty happy I'm not on the school bus at that moment.

6:50 am - My roommate wants a full account of how many runners I see poop their pants! The official runners who poop themselves while running count is on! Hopkinton city limits!

7:00 am -Dropped off at the shell station in Hopkinton!

7:26 am - I saw the most amazing sized collection of port-a-johns ever (coffee up and poop out)!

7:40 am - I follow runners into an oblivion called athletes village. Wait, this isn't where we're supposed to meet up!

7:45 am - Get turned around in the right direction! Walk down the street and get asked by a bunch of teenagers to sign their board. I oblige and give my number as bandito!

7:52 am - Just curious about a lemonade stand when the girl working it says it got shut down by the board of health...cute.

8:01 am - Found my running team so let's do this!

8:45 am - Tried to find a Dunkin Dounuts! Foursquare says it is 1.5 miles away! Went with Hopkinton Gourmet. Afterwards, I'll go to the city of port-a-johns for a visit to deploy the troops.

9:30 am- I walk down to the start line to catch a glimpse of what the beginning looks like. Pretty impressive!

10:00 am - Announcer officially announces at the start of the race that it is the "2016" Boston Marathon. No really he did!

10:55 am - Bandit start

20 ft - Fuel belt pops off and I have to retrieve it. This "unofficially" puts me in last place at the Boston Marathon!

.25 miles - WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

.50 miles - Passed my first official runner with a bib. That was quick!

Mile 1 - I haven't broken a sweat yet and I am going at a 7:45 pace! I also passed Elvis!

Mile 2 - "Welcome to Ashland": For some reason I may have over hydrated and I have to make a pee break. I attempt to tweet but the amount of sweat I am letting out is flooding my phone. I hit the send button. Message doesn't go through. Also two miles into any race is too soon for a pee break. Well except I had to go to the woods because the five port-a-johns were full.

Mile 3 - The Thirsty Irish Runners were doing a great job but were swamped so I decided to help the pour water for a few moments to help them catch up!

Mile 4 - Hey it's Kier Byrnes!
I'm gonna give Kier Byrnes a big hug!

Mile 5 - "Welcome to Framingham": B-good burger looks delicious while running but more tasty in my mouth. Seems like I have ran by several of these already!



Mile 6 - I was thinking about the idea of since I was a "bandit" runner I would pet every puppy and dog along the trail. I was not thinking about that at this moment.

Mile 7 - Decided to stop and tweet this time around. Guy watching the race asks me what I am doing. I inform him that I am tweeting the race. He tells me, "Tell 'em you're hanging with some Ricans in Framingham" Actually tweet says: Mile 7 - chillin w/ some...well I can't say it but rhey are some awesome peeps!

Mile 8 - "Welcome to Natick" After making a second stop Kier Byrnes caught up with me. Why? Santa! I know him! (it also took 10 minutes to get this picture to work and load).

Mile 9 - I saw a sign that says "Don't poop yourself running!" Also something started to smell like poop for a moment. Poop count: One (unconfirmed).

Mile 10 - I run into Mr. Snacks and he gives me water and more water! A trampoline, I also tried to get a picture of a high five moment with a toddler wearing a Malia shirt but here comes twitter with a bunch scribble and the Santa pic. Fuuuuuudddggggggeeee!

Mile 11 - Ooooohhhh nice a mist tunnel to run through. Oh no! Chest chaffing. Time to stop by first aid while there are seven other dehydrated runners laid out on stretchers! Actually there wasn't but maybe one at this point. No more chaffing for the rest of the race which is a positive!

Mile 12 - "Welcome to Wellesley" Signs that I saw on this mile of the journey:
"Kiss me, I'm hot!"
"Kiss me, I'm a Georgia Peach!"
"Kiss me, I'm from Korea!"
"Kiss me, My boyfriend is into it!"
"Kiss me, I'm single and ready to mingle!"
"Kiss me, I'll make all your wildest dreams come true!"
"Kiss me, I'm and Eskimo who has one arm, one leg, and can juggle and ride a tricycle at the same time!"

It's official I'm a kissing whore (I still didn't make out at beer summit).

Mile 13 - Road muck all over my shoes and socks. For those of you who do not know what road muck is it is when the cups and water from a race get so soggy it rips to shreds and gets all over your shoes and socks!

Mile 13.1 - We're halfway home but this has turned into more of a walk than a run with all the heat signs informing everyone to walk instead of run!

Mile 14 - You can't twitter when your phone is about to die. Not good but the announcement got out!

Mile 15 - Cookie? I don't mind if I do. Also my back is killing me. I need a ton of advil!

Mile 16 - "Welcome to Newton" Woooooooo another downhill and I-95 or 128 as the locals call it is crossed. I feel like the city is in reach.

Mile 17 - I just saw a marine go down. Not one in full camouflage but dressed in regular running clothes. The heat is NO JOKE!!! I will also recognize that you are cheering me on if you are screaming out Malia even if it is mispronounced!

Mile 18 - SSAC and My friend Ryan's water stop and a massage. Probably the most welcome water stop and massage in my entire life! He also took my fuel belt because it was an annoyance with boiling water in it!

Mile 19 - Yes! The SRR water stop and Paul G is there to give me a sponge, banana, and more water. It was well received and I found out that my friend who is running Chicago is 20 minutes ahead of me! I can deal with this!

Mile 20 - Here comes heartbreak hill! Dreaded heartbreak hill but at the very top is the Race Menu tent. Spiderman was there and I gave him my bib that fell off at mile 4. Also My friends from The Most Informal Running Club Ever was there to douse me with water. I was also thankful that Ray was there to take my phone and give it back to me later. This might have been the most welcome spot in the entire race.



Mile 21 - "Welcome to Brighton and Boston College" Once you make it here there is a boost of energy that hits you and the BC students are an obvious awesome push!

Mile 22 - "Welcome to Brookline" Bacon wrapped asparagus looks delicious but I am going for plain at this point. Four miles to go and I don't want an upset stomach. I would take a beer at this point however!

Mile 23 - If I would have been kissed there would have been no mile 12 on the marathon course! I also got great advice at this mile of the race as well!

Mile 24 - I have an older lady telling me that we have been back and forth for the past few miles. This in helpful information!

Mile 25 - I see a girl I used to date so I stopped and got another kiss. Reliving Wellesly all over again. Also the older lady and I are still in a back and forth race. She says that she hopes "I beat her".

Mile 26 - I pass by the lady one more time and then catch up with Peter Mcneil who organized "Bandits for Maila" Crossed the finish line and the marathon was completed. My garmin said 4:42 but I stopped several times along the way and enjoyed it. This was a race for fun. No need to take it hard on one of the hottest days of the year! Also I look good after the race as well!

5:00 pm - I get out on the platform at Sullivan Station waiting for the 101 bus to drop me off by my house.

5:10 pm - Here comes the 101 bus but no it is going out of service!

5:20 pm - Alright, another 101 bus and nope we're going out of service again!

5:30 pm - I'm done waiting. I'll take the 89 bus even though it is only halfway to home.

5:50 pm- I get home and see that others are running in the neighborhood. Inspiring to know others are inspired.

6:10 pm - shower time

6:11 pm- Just realized I showered with my garmin on.?

6:52 pm- Ray has my phone and I picked it up.

7 pm- Stopped in Sligo for post marathon beer and chicken nugget.

8 pm - Dinner and beer with the freedom runners.

10 pm - I get home.

10:02 - I passed out!

No comments:

Post a Comment